Thursday 11 June 2015

Lincoln with a capital I

Part One - Trains

As part of my job I travel to and attend UCAS Events, which, on this occasion involves an event being held in LincoIn. This event is a convention to provide those considering university the opportunity to find out more information regarding university facilities, courses, student life and speak to staff and/or Student Ambassadors. Lincoln will be the third UCAS convention I attend for my current institution (with conventions number four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, and ten in the next three weeks).

Currently I am sat on the train making my way to London Waterloo, where I will then travel via underground to Kings Cross and Oxford Circus. Then board two trains, first to Newark North and finally LincoIn. From the station there will be an approximate 30 minute walk to to reach the hotel, which is around 40 minutes from the venue for tomorrows event. I will also be meeting my colleague Tom later in the day, who is working the event with me.
I am hoping to have enough time to walk through the city and sightsee a little this evening. Since attending an event a few years ago in Bristol, where we did not look around the campus or the city we visited, I always try to make the most of being able to attend events that are outside my local region. 



Part Two - Joining the crowd

I am here! Im currently sat in my hotel room taking five (it was actually twenty) minutes before going out for dinner with Tom.
So the journey since Part One went well, there was some confusion over train number three being early and an inaudible announcement that apparently told us this was the train and it was waiting at the platform until the scheduled time to leave. But having not herd, or understood that I, along with about 15 other people stood next to the train with puzzled looks on our faces.

On arrival in Lincoln I found the nearest city street map and worked out the direction I needed to head in for the hotel. Fortunately this took me through the city centre, allowing some sightseeing to happen on route. I did have an approximate idea on the route and time, having looked online before hand. However I had failed to consider the monster hill climb that stood between me and my destination (my view of the hill is definitely affected by the fact Im carrying my travel bag and coat). As I gracefully walked (marched) up the hill I saw part of a cathedral and so diverted slightly to walk past. As I came closer I saw there were a few police and almost a crowd, about 12 people. So without asking who we where looking at or waiting for (because that would spoil the surprise), I found a spot and waited to see who would walk out of the cathedral doors we were all now watching. While I was waiting I took in the beautiful architecture of the building. Building such as this, in truth often religious buildings, always catch my attention, they are so different to most other buildings in our societies, how could they not?
I digress, the doors open, I have only had to wait about four minutes and out walks, to my surprise, someone I recognise (not personally)! HRH Princess Anne.
After a minute or so HRH is in a car and being driven away, and the 12 person crowd starts to disperse. I take a few photos of the building and decide it is time to move on, I would quite like to put this bag down.



I arrive at the hotel, check in and request an iron. Standard entry processes complete, I walk up to my room and happily put my bag down, plug my phone in to charge and find half a NCIS programme to watch.
After half an hour I decide its time to go and have a look around the centre and see if I can get in a bit of sightseeing and check on the venue for tomorrow.
First up I revisit the cathedral, which is now open to the public. I made my way in and am delighted to see the archeteciture and designs on the inside. This was an amazing opportunity. I walked through the different sections, where other visitors where talking and taking photos as they too looked at the floors, walls, windows and ceilings (Im not doing it justice with those descriptions). 



I found a quiet spot at the back where visitors where invited to make a prayer and light a candle. I spent a few moments here contemplating before walking back through the cathedral and outside.
Having left the catherdal I walked down the hill, still a slight challenge, I found myself near to a river with a bridge, so I started to journey towards the bridge in hopes of a good view. Unfortunately the view was not quite what I had hoped for, although I did now find myself near to the venue for tomorrow. Or so I thought. The event is being held at the University of Lincoln, which has more than one location within the city centre. After visiting a subject building, the student village, University Library and the Students Union, I found the building I needed. 

I asked a few questions and found my way to our stand for tomorrow, to my horror though none of our resources had made it to the venue. There were then a few phone conversations, which resulted in discovering that the equipment was not being delivered until the morning. Having confirmed that, I decided it was time to return to the hotel to meet Tom before dinner.


Part Three - Waiting for the train home

I met Tom in the hotel lounge where we discussed our respective journeys and admired the view of the cathedral through the window. We decided to eat away from the hotel, and so started walking to the high street. Having a choice of three places to eat we opted for Revolutions. A very pleasant bar / restaurant. I did have another moment of confusion as three people served us at various stages, despite the bar being pretty small.
After an ok meal and a few hours of chatting about fairly varied topics it was time to head back to the hotel for one more lemonade before bed.

In the morning I nearly managed to flood the bathroom thanks to the worst shower curtain Ive ever seen. Still there where plenty of towels, so it wasn't a problem. At breakfast I was again delighted to sit and look through the window at the cathedral, I really can't think of anywhere else I have had this opportunity (that being said seeing the sea and a beach would still be nicer). The Lincoln Hotel was not the best hotel for facilities, but the staff were very friendly and quick to respond to any question or request.

Then followed a fairly busy UCAS event. In the day I found the staff and Student Ambassadors working for University of Lincoln very helpful and friendly. A special thanks to the ICT Service guys who helped with our IT problems on the day. Myself and Tom enjoyed talking to those considering university and discussing the options available at our institution.

So after this very beneficial day it is now time to journey back home. I am currently sat waiting for that first train in the five hour journey. I should not have written that, it has already made the journey feel longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment